The above is probably a scene that would be replayed across the world on Sunday mornings if such a question was even asked.
WHY AREN’T WE MORE INTENTIONAL IN THE CHALLENGE AND FOLLOW THROUGH OF APPLYING THE TRUTHS WE TEACH?
In a perfect world parents, THE Primary Disciplers, of the child would:
- Be leading their children through continual informal discipleship –starting with the ride home from church, they would carry on a discussion of that week’s Bible truth and continue the interaction throughout the week – to help with this they would have been given a guide on Sunday morning.
- Set aside a time each week for Family Time when they have a formal discipleship time based on the lesson their kids learned that week.
- Help their child develop the habit of daily Bible reading – read a short passage each night that relates to what they studied Sunday.
Parents aren’t being discipled themselves so they don’t have the absolute and undivided self-dedication to God that it takes to put God first in everything they do – thus the intentional discipleship of their children is most often left to the Family of God.
Sunday Plus Curriculum is written to assist the Family of God in presenting the challenge as well as stimulating the kids to respond.
Truth or Desire
In the elementary Sunday Plus curriculum this little game challenges the kids to critically think through their personal application of that week’s Biblical truth. It is played as part of Midweek Celebration or is played the following Sunday. Go here to see two applications of Truth or Desire.
Each week the 5th/6th Graders receive a Go-and-Do Challenge. Their mission, if they choose to accept it, is to complete a specific Challenge by the following Sunday.
What intentional steps does your church take to make sure the children are growing more in love with the Triune God each day and thus desire to apply the truths they are taught?.
Sunday Plus also has the tools mentioned above to help Primary Nurturers continue discipleship at home.
- Preschool Primary Discipler Update
- Elementary Primary Discipler Update
- Family Discipleship Curriculum
- Daily Scripture Reading Voucher